Sanctuary International
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sanctuary International

Sanctuary International and Intense Radio Online Community

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Makes a Person a True Goth?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
McKenna(ChristianGoth)

McKenna(ChristianGoth)

Female Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-03-26

What Makes a Person a True Goth? Empty
PostSubject: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 21, 2009 9:49 pm

Hello,

I'm just wondering what makes a person a true goth?

Thanks,

McKenna
Back to top Go down
http://miraclebaby1984.tripod.com
Rastus

Rastus

Male Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 8:43 am

Not obsessing over it, firstly.

If you need a calculated, precise yardstick for exactly how "goth" you are perceived--where else to go? <--link
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tory98
McKenna(ChristianGoth)

McKenna(ChristianGoth)

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:45 am

MetalheaD wrote:

If you need a calculated, precise yardstick for exactly how "goth" you are perceived--where else to go? <--link

Thanks. There was a lot of information there. A lot of reading. I didn't read it all. But I'm thinking of getting the book the goth bible so maybe what I'm looking for will be in there. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Panzer

Panzer

Male Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:47 am

MetalheaD wrote:

Good post Victor. If you have to follow other peoples guidlines to be something then your not being yourself , your being a poser... Just be who you are and if that falls within the parameters of being goth , so be it, if not dont play games with it and act like others do just to be accepted as a goth.
Back to top Go down
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

Female Number of posts : 804
Registration date : 2007-11-13

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 1:11 pm

goth is a state of mind not a wardrobe, or a style of music you listen to.
There are a hundred different types of goth.
I personally am the kind of goth where I dress in a lot of black, love spooky things, yes I wear a collar ( I just got a new one with a cross!) like sorta dreary dark music.

here are some graphics that are free to anyone from www.christiangoth.com (plug plug plug)

http://http://www.christiangoth.com/youmaytak_thes.htm

I love these, I had a very basic wallpaper with a few of these graphics.
Back to top Go down
McKenna(ChristianGoth)

McKenna(ChristianGoth)

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 9:04 pm

switchbladeknitter wrote:
goth is a state of mind not a wardrobe, or a style of music you listen to.
There are a hundred different types of goth.
I personally am the kind of goth where I dress in a lot of black, love spooky things, yes I wear a collar ( I just got a new one with a cross!) like sorta dreary dark music.

here are some graphics that are free to anyone from www.christiangoth.com (plug plug plug)

http://http://www.christiangoth.com/youmaytak_thes.htm

I love these, I had a very basic wallpaper with a few of these graphics.

I think I'm the kinda goth or rather the kinda wanna be goth because I have no job and no money to buy gothic clothes yet. That you are. I want to dress in a lot of dark things. And I love ghosts. And my favorite shows are Medium and Ghost Whisper. I don't wear any collars. But heck, if the collar has a cross on it heck I'll wear it any day. Who cares if I look like a dog. That's just a joke by the way. Oh yeah and dark music is my life. As well as other things that I wanna do with dark music. Like start my own band. Oh yes, And I believe in different things. Like the kinda stuff where if I told you. You would probably be like are you crazy. Ha ha ha. Wear did you get the collar with the cross by the way. I want one:D Or at least want a look at it to see if I want one or not:D Talk to you later. Bye.

Mac
Back to top Go down
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 9:19 pm

dang I just typed a whole lot and lot it so this time it'll be shorter.

I got my collar at this store called the cage they have one in Indiana and one in Kentucky but I'll find their website. My regular collar that's very comfy and cool I got at petco for like 6 bucks.

so anyway I like black clothes but all my clothes are from walmart or the thrift store, and i dont wear just black I wear a lot of wife beaters and baggy pants too. and right now I'm wearing a olive green and cream colored sundress.

I do wear gothy makeup no matter what I'm wearing as long as I'm not depressed. When I'm depressed I wear no make up or brush my hair or anything but my 'regular' goth makeup is
burgandy eyeliner slightly smeared then thin black eyelier (lip and eye pencils from the dollar store) and dark lipstick brugandy or black (I got 2 tubes of black for a buck a piece after halloween)

and while I am depressed a lot even when I'm not I still love all things spooky & creepy. I don't watch tv but love horror movies.
Back to top Go down
McKenna(ChristianGoth)

McKenna(ChristianGoth)

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2009 10:16 pm

dang I just typed a whole lot and lot it so this time it'll be shorter.

I got my collar at this store called the cage they have one in Indiana and one in Kentucky but I'll find their website. My regular collar that's very comfy and cool I got at petco for like 6 bucks.

so anyway I like black clothes but all my clothes are from walmart or the thrift store, and i dont wear just black I wear a lot of wife beaters and baggy pants too. and right now I'm wearing a olive green and cream colored sundress.

I do wear gothy makeup no matter what I'm wearing as long as I'm not depressed. When I'm depressed I wear no make up or brush my hair or anything but my 'regular' goth makeup is
burgandy eyeliner slightly smeared then thin black eyelier (lip and eye pencils from the dollar store) and dark lipstick brugandy or black (I got 2 tubes of black for a buck a piece after halloween)

and while I am depressed a lot even when I'm not I still love all things spooky & creepy. I don't watch tv but love horror movies.

Wow interesting analogy of your gothicness lol! I could just look them up on google you don't have to give me the website. I love spooky and creepy as well. Ghosts oh yeah lol! I love horror movies and movies about ghosts and what not. Anyway, see ya.
Back to top Go down
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 10:28 am

it's cool I actually wanted to post their site for Victor too.

They have one store in Louisville KY so Victor if you're ever thru the area check em out. They are kinda like my fave store in the whole world The Alley in Chicago but I just window shop cuz it's kinda pricey. The Cage and The Alley.
But at both stores you can pick up cool stuffiagnets there for Jim from The Devil's Rejects for like 6 or 7 bucks.
Oh and their site also has a list of shows coming thru the area.
Right now KY has a lot better shows coming thru than Chicago. But it's still nice to know what's coming thru.

Anyway here's the site -
http://www.myspace.com/thecagestore

and although I can't find a pic of the collar I got, its like a basic leather collar with a metal hanger in the middle front and this cross hanging from it

What Makes a Person a True Goth? 10003MN

course this ^ necklace sells for $330 - YIKES and I got my collar for $16.50.

Victor if you ever get there they sell all their rock shirts buy one get one (I think it's) 20% off .
Back to top Go down
McKenna(ChristianGoth)

McKenna(ChristianGoth)

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 11:30 pm

it's cool I actually wanted to post their site for Victor too.

They have one store in Louisville KY so Victor if you're ever thru the area check em out. They are kinda like my fave store in the whole world The Alley in Chicago but I just window shop cuz it's kinda pricey. The Cage and The Alley.
But at both stores you can pick up cool stuffiagnets there for Jim from The Devil's Rejects for like 6 or 7 bucks.
Oh and their site also has a list of shows coming thru the area.
Right now KY has a lot better shows coming thru than Chicago. But it's still nice to know what's coming thru.

Anyway here's the site -
http://www.myspace.com/thecagestore

and although I can't find a pic of the collar I got, its like a basic leather collar with a metal hanger in the middle front and this cross hanging from it

What Makes a Person a True Goth? 10003MN

course this ^ necklace sells for $330 - YIKES and I got my collar for $16.50.

Victor if you ever get there they sell all their rock shirts buy one get one (I think it's) 20% off .

Oh my what a pretty cross that is. I'll have to look at their website and see if there's anything I like there. Thanks:)
Back to top Go down
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 12:27 pm

You can google Mobtown Chicago that's the company that made the collar and that WAAAAY too expensive necklace.
They have some kinda offensive jewerly there (naughty words and whatnot) so be warned. But they also have some gorgeous stuff.
They sell mostly at the Alley in Chicago. You can google The Alley (in Chicago) too. They also have some awesome jewelry and accessories.
I only shop from the clearance rack when I go to the Alley though.
I am above all things very very cheap and being that I don't work I hate spending my hubby's money.
Back to top Go down
Panzer

Panzer

Male Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 1:42 pm

you can also get some cool stuff that goths would probably like off of EBAY.COM . Im not really sure what goths like since I am probably the total oposite of goth. but ebay has some nice stuff.
Back to top Go down
McKenna(ChristianGoth)

McKenna(ChristianGoth)

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 3:17 pm

Panzer wrote:
you can also get some cool stuff that goths would probably like off of EBAY.COM . Im not really sure what goths like since I am probably the total oposite of goth. but ebay has some nice stuff.

Yep ebay certainly does have cool goth stuff there. Thanks:)
Back to top Go down
Rastus

Rastus

Male Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2008-02-22

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 4:27 pm

http://www.rockngothshop.com/
This place provides uber goth stuff (alchemy) if you have a decent amount of $ to spend
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tory98
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 8:59 pm

If I ever become rich, forget diamonds, I'm gonna be pimpin the Alchemy. I have always loved their jewelry and also always been poor. Too bad for me.
Back to top Go down
McKenna(ChristianGoth)

McKenna(ChristianGoth)

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 9:30 pm

MetalheaD wrote:
http://www.rockngothshop.com/
This place provides uber goth stuff (alchemy) if you have a decent amount of $ to spend

Alchemy. I love Alchemy. At least a lot of their jewelry things. And maybe a lot of their clothing as well. I don't know. I have to look.

Back to top Go down
Tonnenator

Tonnenator

Female Number of posts : 482
Registration date : 2007-07-21

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 1:39 am

Don't forget Hot Topic and Torrid. But they're a little pricey at times although their sales are great.

I like ornate and midieval looking stuff myself but I do wear a lot of black and dark colors.

One example is our bedroom. For curtains, I have dark blue wall hangings with black celtic knots, and then we have a sword and a crown hanging on the wall, black lacquer furniture and a band t-shirt quilt on the way.

I see 'goth' as being a state of mind that is sometimes expressed in the way you dress and/or your music choices, etc. You probably aren't someone who is going to golf, wear a lot of khakis or listen to Travis Tritt.

Goth to me is somebody who finds beauty in dark things and is drawn to intense and emotional things.

And of course - the original goth was Johnny Cash.

Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.generationactz.com
McKenna(ChristianGoth)

McKenna(ChristianGoth)

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2009 11:51 am

Tonnenator wrote:
Don't forget Hot Topic and Torrid. But they're a little pricey at times although their sales are great.

I like ornate and midieval looking stuff myself but I do wear a lot of black and dark colors.

One example is our bedroom. For curtains, I have dark blue wall hangings with black celtic knots, and then we have a sword and a crown hanging on the wall, black lacquer furniture and a band t-shirt quilt on the way.

I see 'goth' as being a state of mind that is sometimes expressed in the way you dress and/or your music choices, etc. You probably aren't someone who is going to golf, wear a lot of khakis or listen to Travis Tritt.

Goth to me is somebody who finds beauty in dark things and is drawn to intense and emotional things.

Wink

Thanks for the information. Your right about finding beauty in dark things. I do find beauty in dark things. And I do believe that not all witches today are bad. It just depends on the person that's all. So, I guess you can say I'm an unsual type of person. And I'm not even wiccian. I'm a christian lutheran to be exact. So, I'm really a weird person.
Back to top Go down
switchbladeknitter

switchbladeknitter

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 12:11 pm

Tonnenator wrote:

Wink

You pretty much summed up what I think of goth in one sentence. And big big thumbs up on Johnny Cash. The ORIGINAL man in black!!
I actually just told someone like a few weeks ago that
"You gotta love Johnny Cash, he was goth before anyone knew what goth was"

It was cuz some driver -like 70% of em listen to country so a lot of em question me about my 'look' and the music I listen to- was sayin something about my music being wierd.

I always love the look on their face when I say
"I'm actually Christian Goth"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Makes a Person a True Goth?   What Makes a Person a True Goth? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Makes a Person a True Goth?
Page 1 of 1